Review of the DJI OM4 Osmo Gimbal

MJKlein
Site Admin

Review of the DJI OM4 Osmo Gimbal

Post by MJKlein »

I got one in Hsinchu city on Sunday evening. I did a live stream with it late on Sunday evening/Monday morning.

My inital thoughts on it are good. It does do some strange things, but it's because of my previous experience with Zhiyun gimbals I think. If I sit the OM4 on the table and carefully watch the screen of the mobile phone I can see it moving ever so slowly. I don't know why that is, but that wouldn't affect the dynamics of it in the field while recording. Also, it's very unlike the Zhiyun because the gimbal won't return to zero without a double pull on the trigger. With the Zhiyun, I would use follow mode and move the gimbal all over the place. With the OM4, you hold the pistol grip and use the joystick to adjust the phone angle how you want it, and then the gimbal moves from there. You could hold the pistol grip at an angle and make the phone face straight ahead. With the Zhiyun in follow mode you would have to hold the handle at an angle to get the phone to do what you want. The only way to hold the handle at some random angle and face the phone independently of that angle, would be to go out of follow mode. The OM4 can return to zero (RTZ) at any point with the double trigger pull.

I had read and seen on YouTube that the Android version of their Mimo app was less than ideal. Apparently there has been an update on the app because the only thing that seems to be missing is the Slow Motion feature. I have that on the native cam app and also other apps. The DJI Mimo app does have a few more tweaks on iOS but overall it seems to be very useful on Android.

I also have the Filmic Pro app and that "supports" the OM4, although I would be somewhat reluctant to say that it fully supports the gimble. The Zoom buttons on the gimbal don't actually zoom like they do on the Mimo app. The Zoom buttons cycle through 4 control modes on Filmic Pro and you use the joystick to do things like zooming and focusing, etc.. Workable but, you have to remember which app you're using or suddenly you will have messed up your video. The Filmic Pro app also does not change the gimbal modes, so as recommended on several YouTube videos, you have to use the Mimo app to change the gimbal mode and then go back to Filmic Pro. Keep in mind that both apps connect to the gimbal with Bluetooth and therefore, if one app is open and you change to the other, the Bluetooth control will stop working until you close the unused app.

Time lapse: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UejJc2bZcuE5uR1w6

Hyperlapse: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vYRKsngwddYuRrXAA

I'll have more insights into this gimbal as I use it more. Here is the first live stream I did with it:

MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489