Display Of 16:9 Photos in Studio

PRISM Live Studio for the iPhone
MJKlein
Site Admin

Display Of 16:9 Photos in Studio

Post by MJKlein »

Recently I got a new iPhone 14 Pro Max and have been enjoying using it with PRISM Live Studio (PLS) iOS for live streaming. However, I have run into a baffling issue that I cannot resolve.

When I add 16:9 aspect ratio photos to the Studio, they display in the app as 4:3 images. This behavior is uniform between the Live and the Video functions of PLS. This behavior only occurs with photographs and not videos taken with the iPhone native photo app. It is interesting to note that if I take photos using PLS's Photo function, those 16:9 photos display perfectly, so this would appear to be some kind of disconnect with iOS.

Examples:

This is a screen cap of PLS with a 16:9 video (left) and a 16:9 photo (right):

The video properly displays as a 16:9 thumbnail while the photo displays as a 4:3 thumbnail.

To verify this with 2 different photos, I did the following:

1. I took 2 photos of my bathroom wall with tiles (sort of a grid), 1 photo in 16:9 and the other photo in 4:3.

2. I imported both of those photos into the PLS Studio.
3. I added both photos to the display:

Notice that there is no difference in how these thumbnails display even though they are different aspect ratios.

4. I expanded the 16:9 photo to full size using the button on the lower left of the thumbnail image:

5. I expanded the 4:3 photo and observed that it occupied the same space as the 4:3 photo:

Even more baffling things are going on. The 4:3 photo looks exactly the same as photographed. However, the 16:8 photo appears to display information that exists outside of the frame of the photo although in a 4:3 format:

Notice the very top of this photo:

Now, notice how the photo is displayed in PLS (it is the expanded photo):

At the top of the frame you can see a line in the tile grid that is not visible in the photo when displayed outside of PLS. Please note that in the last scree cap of both photos in PLS, one is expanded and the other is a thumbnail. In both photos you can see a line in the tile row at the top of the photo frame. But this line is not normally visible when viewing the photo either in the iPhone Photos app, Google Photos or even here on this website.

@Jake Song and his team have identified this issue and will correct it in the next update! Thanks Jake!

A workaround for now is to use the PLS Photo app to take photos that you know you want to share on a live stream in PLS.
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489