YouTube Shorts Strategy

YouTube Platform Discussions
MJKlein
Site Admin

YouTube Shorts Strategy

Post by MJKlein »

Shorts are a fantastic way to boost views and gain subs on YouTube. Here are a few ideas that I have about making shorts work for your channel. Let's add to this thread and turn it into a useful resource!

Looping:

When a user first opens the app and clicks on a short, the video will play to the end and then display the swiping instructions. The app does this every single time, but only on the first video viewed. If you close the app and come back later, it does it again. But that only happens on the first video.

This means that all subsequent videos will play over and over, continually looping, until you leave that video by swiping. And that is where the opportunity is: Making your video loop so that the viewer cannot easily discern that the video has ended. I have seen some very successful shorts where I played the video for a considerable amount of time before I realized it had been edited for looping. In music production, we do this all the time to make backing tracks. It takes a bit of effort with video because you have to precisely match up the beginning and endings scenes so they flow together seamlessly. But it can be worth the effort.

Why would you do that? Because, if your video is interesting and someone wants to view it to the end, they will keep watching until they know they've seen 100% of the video (i.e. they figured out it's looping). What would ordinarily be a single view becomes a double or triple view just because it's looping until the viewer leaves.

There is a universal truth to YouTube: Viewers respect high view counts. You are more likely to have someone sub to your channel if they find out about you with a very popular video. My short videos are disproportionally popular when compared to my live streams. I've been rather amazed at how fast a YouTube short can rack up views. Monetization is based in part on channel views. Shorts can help you get there quicker.

What do you think?
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
Robemma774

Re: YouTube Shorts Strategy

Post by Robemma774 »

MJKlein wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:46 am Shorts are a fantastic way to boost views and gain subs on YouTube. Here are a few ideas that I have about making shorts work for your channel. Let's add to this thread and turn it into a useful resource!

Looping:

When a user first opens the app and clicks on a short, the video will play to the end and then display the swiping instructions. The app does this every single time, but only on the first video viewed. If you close the app and come back later, it does it again. But that only happens on the first video.

This means that all subsequent videos will play over and over, continually looping, until you leave that video by swiping. And that is where the opportunity is: Making your video loop so that the viewer cannot easily discern that the video has ended. I have seen some very successful shorts where I played the video for a considerable amount of time before I realized it had been edited for looping. In music production, we do this all the time to make backing tracks. It takes a bit of effort with video because you have to precisely match up the beginning and endings scenes so they flow together seamlessly. But it can be worth the effort.

Why would you do that? Because, if your video is interesting and someone wants to view it to the end, they will keep watching until they know they've seen 100% of the video (i.e. they figured out it's looping). What would ordinarily be a single view becomes a double or triple view just because it's looping until the viewer leaves.

There is a universal truth to YouTube: Viewers respect high view counts. You are more likely to have someone sub to your channel if they find out about you with a very popular video. My short videos are disproportionally popular when compared to my live streams. I've been rather amazed at how fast a YouTube short can rack up views. Monetization is based in part on channel views. Shorts can help you get there quicker.

What do you think?
Thanks for sharing this strategy, I was going to open a new youtube channel and learn some tricks and tips over the internet and found your post. These surely help me and creating and promoting my channel.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: YouTube Shorts Strategy

Post by MJKlein »

Robemma774 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:14 am Thanks for sharing this strategy, I was going to open a new youtube channel and learn some tricks and tips over the internet and found your post. These surely help me and creating and promoting my channel.
Thanks for joining our forum. Glad you could use those tips.
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489