Why Bother With Happs When You Can Use RPAN?

Happs Platform Discussions
MJKlein
Site Admin

Why Bother With Happs When You Can Use RPAN?

Post by MJKlein »

The "new" Happs is an unmitigated disaster. It's very difficult to watch anything and virtually impossible to live stream. Their new 10k follower streaming barrier has cut off people who want to stream from Happs and aren't whitelisted by Happs (and everyone that I have seen since the changeover does not meet the limit but can stream anyway). That means you and I won't be able to use Happs. Happs is notorious for showing blatant favoritism to certain live streamers. I really couldn't care less because I dislike the platform. But I mean, seriously, how can they build their platform when people have to already be popular enough to have 10k followers and have more than likely built that following with live streaming on other platforms? Seems to me they didn't think that through. When Periscope shut down, some 'Scopers I knew suggested that I go over to Happs. I'm very glad that I didn't. It really was a no-brainer though. No synchronized chat playback, mediocre video resolution and a ridiculously bad app made the decision easy for me. I tried it a few times and was underwhelmed.

So, why bother with Happs when you can use RPAN?

For those of you who were serious users of Happs and found yourselves shut out, there is an alternative. If you're one of those 'Scopers who feels abandoned again, consider RPAN. RPAN is Reddit's live streaming platform and is apparently what Happs is using anyway (that is an educated guess based on circumstantial evidence).

So let's break it down:

Happs:

Virtually unattainable 10k follower requirement for Happs + linked social media accounts for live streaming.
Mobile phone app is not stereo.
Limited to portrait mode.
App is very slow and difficult to use.
Content is limited.
High degree of favoritism.
Content is (apparently) geared toward music.

RPAN:

Easily attainable comment karma requirement for live streaming (I had the requirement and didn't realize it).
Mobile app is stereo.
Limited to portrait mode.
App is the standard Reddit app and is what it is.
Lots of trolls and interaction.
Content is virtually unlimited as it's Reddit.
No favoritism.

Not only the above, but with Reddit you can broadcast to the Happs music and news subreddits anyway! For those of you who feel put off by the new 10k requirement, use Reddit and stream as you will. RPAN also has a studio version based on OBS do you can do real broadcasting instead of using the horrible web-based Happs studio (which I used once and had it lock up on me so bad I had to end my show because I couldn't cast the web pages I wanted to talk about).

I say there is no reason to use Happs for anything when you can easily use Reddit's RPAN and have more views, interaction and a stereo version of your bedroom singing sesh.
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
DeanSMS

Re: Why Bother With Happs When You Can Use RPAN?

Post by DeanSMS »

Indeed, it's the factoring the live streamers into a diaspora.

My brother wrote a song about the ski bums seeking Ruthie Run about ski resorts being brought up and excluding the ski bums who couldn't afford the new, steep prices.

Wish I had the song on digital format instead of just the 45 rpm record he gave us all.

Succinctly, the corporations are taking over live streaming and the line from the song may be apt: "if you like rollerball" you like Happs.
DeanSMS ‎ ‎دين ディン 😎🇺🇸
Scoping from: X Live & Heckle
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Wow, cool. You got to find a service who can do a digital dub of that record!

Maybe we should do a crowdsourced song about Happs!
English/中文
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Happs lowered the barrier to 1k followers from connected accounts. Still now that Periscope is not counted anymore I don't have enough followers to use their platform.

So, do you think that if/when I get the required number of followers I'm going to start streaming there?
English/中文