The Tofu Rocks

MJ's new Taiwan project, based on Heygo (and some YouTube content).
MJKlein
Site Admin

The Tofu Rocks

Post by MJKlein »

The Tofu Rocks are an unlikely tourist attraction. They are a breakwater made from tethered concrete cubes across the Touqian River in Zhubei, but they are nicknamed The Tofu Rocks because of how they look as a result of water erosion. The cubes become rounded and resemble pillow-like cubes of soft tofu, a very common food here in Taiwan. The governmental agency responsible for the management of this area said that they should not be considered a tourist attraction at all. But some artistic photographers posted early morning photos of The Tofu Rocks online and a new tourist attraction was created. People enjoy walking across the rocks and also sitting on them and letting their feet get wet in the stream. Of course, caution must be exercised as the water flow can be considered dangerous at times. The cubes are arranged in strings with the upriver side being higher and subsequent downstream strings are placed below the previous string so that the strings are stepped. The cubes are tethered with a type of embedded double-cable to help keep them in place. There are numerous other sets of these breakwater cubes, the site marked on Google Maps being the most famous. There is also a set of them near the Touqian River Bridge and also alongside other bridges that span the river. In this video I also show you the next set of Tofu Rocks about 800m downstream. I hope you enjoy my short flim. 2022-08-09T16:08:27Z 0:9:56
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489