Happs New capital invested

Happs Platform Discussions
DeanSMS

Happs New capital invested

Post by DeanSMS »

All broadcasters, or that one I follow, are ecstatic at possibilities of their getting an increase in rewards for streaming.

I know I am being sarcastic, though, too many stream more about getting free coffee and Happs perks these days.
DeanSMS ‎ ‎دين ディン 😎🇺🇸
Scoping from: X Live & Heckle
DeanSMS

Re: New capital invested

Post by DeanSMS »

DeanSMS ‎ ‎دين ディン 😎🇺🇸
DeanSMS

Post by DeanSMS »

Post deleted
Last edited by DeanSMS on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeanSMS ‎ ‎دين ディン 😎🇺🇸
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

DeanSMS wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm I know I am being sarcastic, though, too many stream more about getting free coffee and Happs perks these days.
Indeed, what you are seeing is what happens when barriers are removed from disciplines that are either too expensive, or too technical for the average person to enter. Think about how live streaming has exploded in the last 5 years, largely due to being able to LS from mobile devices and the price of high power computing dropping dramatically.

I was one of the first people I knew who had a Pentium computer running Windows 95, in 1995. In order to live stream at that time, we had to use the PC and a B&W camera connected to the parallel (printer) port, which was the only port capable of handling the large amount of data being captured by the camera.

This is me in 1997 doing a live stream from the recording studio where I did all my records. In order to do that live stream, I had to take my PC into the studio: CPU case, CRT monitor, keyboard, mouse and camera, and then we had to run a very long Ethernet cable to the studio's modem in order to connect to the internet. Sources back in the day say that I'm the second recording artist in the world to LS a recording session. I believe it. There were a lot of barriers, both financial and technical that prevented many people from LS. Back in those days there were many so-called "lurkers" who couldn't afford cameras, but would join in the chat. I wouldn't get a color camera until 1998.

Think about the millions of people who are doing high quality LS on platforms such as Twitch. It just can't be that hard or even that expensive if so many people are doing it. But when I say "high quality" I am simply referring to the technical quality, not the content. The vast majority of them are doing nothing more than playing games online. They did not program the game and simply bought hardware and software to LS those games.

The reason that Happs and many other spaces are so boring and devoid of significant content is that it doesn't require any experience, discipline or money to LS to Happs. While that was true of Periscope, at that time people were not used to that kind of technology and many viewers insisted that they were not capable of going on camera because they didn't have anything to say or they thought their lives/environment were too boring. Now that one doesn't even have to leave their own home and just connect to a website, far too many people are streaming.... well, nothing, really. As you say, getting coffee and talking more about the platform itself than anything else. Rather circular. People are so used to crap LSs that they now realize hey, if that's live streaming, I can do it too!

Doing something well takes experience and disclipline. There is no getting around that.

Those of us in the music business have been seeing that happening for years, as DAWs became available and the "now, anyone can record a hit record in their bedroom" mentality became prevalent. We are seeing the results of that now: virtually all the top music streaming services' Top Ten lists are nothing more than beats and VST instruments as more and more people with little/no musical skills are releasing music. Today's music is boring and devoid of cleverness and innovation, except technological innovation, like Hard Tune. Technological progress means that artist progress isn't required. Todays' "recording artists" have a bedroom and a little bit of money so they think they can create a quality record because they have the "right" DAW, the "right" plugins, etc.. This is the same as those Twitch streamers. They have good gear and good software, but their "record" still sucks because they haven't acquired the disclipline to create something that will stand out.

Whenever an amateur home recordist gives me their tracks to mix, they are always astonished at the mix I give back to them. They are amazed because they have no idea how I got that sound. It took 40 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars - that's how. My "home studio" is not a laptop with a 2 channel USB interface and a free DAW. The same goes with my own, personal recordings. I spent decades in the studio doing sessions professionally. I also worked with professional composers, writers, lyricists and publishers to polish my craft to the point where it absolutely does stand out from the work of the bedroom musician.

My national talk show experience was a natural fit for LS. I'm used to thinking on my feet and interacting with and audience that I cannot see. Fear of being alone on a LS may explain the dramatic increase of meaningless roundtable discussions on Happs and elsewhere. It's just too easy to invite someone else on your stream and then rely on them to save the show because you really have nothing to talk about.

I'm afraid that the LS realm is going to get far worse before it gets better. It has to get thoroughly saturated and then the ones that are not in it for the craft, and the less talented ones will get bored with it and leave. I think this is happening in some respects now. Many people are tired of the "Bedroom Broadcaster" and I am often astonished to see the backgrounds that some people are "broadcasting" in front of - an open door to the hallway, dirty laundry basket, etc.. How many "serious" performances have you seen, shot on a mobile phone in a cluttered kitchen, with an acoustic guitarist - painful expression on their face like they are shooting a music video for a major label? Far too many. It's a joke. A bad joke, really. If they don't care enough to throw up a blanket for a backdrop, how is anyone supposed to take them seriously?
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: Happs New capital invested

Post by MJKlein »

DeanSMS wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm All broadcasters, or that one I follow, are ecstatic at possibilities of their getting an increase in rewards for streaming.

I know I am being sarcastic, though, too many stream more about getting free coffee and Happs perks these days.
The irony is right here in this quote from the article:

"What sets Happs apart from some established competitors in the space is the team’s desire to not only build tools that help video creators produce professional-looking online streams, but to cultivate a kind of meta-community that brings people together from across other social media sites."

Tools? What tools? You can't even use a green screen with Happs! Their "studio" is a web based mess that crashed the first/only time I've ever used it. There is nothing whatsoever about Happs that I can even think of that would allow anyone to produce a "professonal-looking" live stream. There isn't even synchronized chat playback so the replays are hard to watch too. If they intend to start building these tools now, it's going to be a long long road, with many a winding turn before they get anywhere near the "established competitors in the space".

Someone just threw away $4.7M if you ask me. They'll never get it back, let alone make a profit.
English/中文
DeanSMS

Post by DeanSMS »

MJKlein wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 am Someone just threw away $4.7M if you ask me. They'll never get it back, let alone make a profit.
I log in every day so to collect my 50 coins. Saving them then will dump them on some unknown streamer (sorry broadcaster to Happs, still Scoper to Heckle.)

By the Heckle won't be doing multicasting according to Simon.
DeanSMS ‎ ‎دين ディン 😎🇺🇸
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

DeanSMS wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:04 pm
MJKlein wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 am Someone just threw away $4.7M if you ask me. They'll never get it back, let alone make a profit.
I log in every day so to collect my 50 coins. Saving them then will dump them on some unknown streamer (sorry broadcaster to Happs, still Scoper to Heckle.)

By the Heckle won't be doing multicasting according to Simon.
Getting coins from Happs is like getting those stickers from 7-11.

Re: Heckle - some people have no vision and they are their own obstacle to success. In this case though, were Restream exists, it's not necessary for the app itself to multicast. However capturing the chat streams for other platforms is a challenge. With today's broadcasters looking to increase their reach many are moving to multicasting. Heckle is becoming more like a specific, narrow niche platform that won't be viewed by many across the world. I've never seen a single Heckle broadcast. I haven't seen @Parador (aka Kaspar_NL) since he started using it. It's like they are uploading to YouTube and then making their videos unlisted.

I'm strongly looking at Odysee. They are really doing things right. You can post videos or images with text almost like the Community tab on YouTube. I have a TaiwanLiveTV channel there.
English/中文
Daveinosaka

Post by Daveinosaka »

I don't understand how this huge investment means more money in live streamers hands?
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

The email that they send me said that they were waiving the platform fee for all monthly sponsorships. PerHapps that's what they mean.

btw, they cut off all those info emails to my TaiwanLiveTV and Phoenix Media Forge accounts because I replied to them with negative deconstructs of what they said, lol. They only send emails to my Livestreaming Technology account because they haven't figured out it's me yet.
English/中文
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

@DeanSMS and @Daveinosaka have either of you noticed any impact anywhere on Happs that would indicate that this cash investment has made any different yet? I'm also curious about how that's going to put money in the hands of live streamers. I'm also interested if there have been any announcements of platform technology improvements.
English/中文