Front Camera Display Settings

Request features you'd like to see added to PRISM Live Studio. Please specify the platform, Android, iOS or PC.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Front Camera Display Settings

Post by MJKlein »

The front camera on PRISM mobile apps has a reverse image setting. This allows the front camera to be set to "mirror" or to show standard imaging. The mirror setting called "Flip front-facing camera" means that you have standard imaging when this is set to "On". When On, the camera shows things in the correct orientation so that you can read text such as signs or labels and the perspective is not reversed.

With the terminology used in PRISM mobile apps, one would normally think they do not want their front camera flipped (backwards/mirrored) so they leave this setting off. But the reality is you want this setting ON. Many live streamers are showing backwards from cameras and they have no idea until they view their live streams later.

This is compounded by the fact that most live streamers are accustomed to seeing their own video as mirrored. Mirrored video is very natural for live streaming, but you may not want the mirrored image sent out on the stream.

I would like to see either 2 settings, or the current setting modified as follows:

Option 1. Have 2 settings that would give the user control over both the streamed video and the monitored video. Personally, I would have the monitor video flipped (mirrored) and the stream video not flipped).

Option 2. Make the monitored video always flipped/mirrored, since this is the natural way we are all used to seeing ourselves, and make the flip option affect the streamed video only.

My personal opinion is that Option 2 is good enough because I would never use non-flipped video to monitor myself while streaming. I have to flip the video to get the streaming video non-mirrored and having the monitored video non-mirrored causes issues with me every single time I do a live stream. I get right/left mixed up because I'm used to mirrored monitored video.
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489