What are your thoughts on the platform having no creative content other than featured musicians?

Happs Platform Discussions
Disabled

What are your thoughts on the platform having no creative content other than featured musicians?

Post by Disabled »

Curious on everyone's take on the lack of content, and only musicians being featured?
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: What are your thoughts on the platform having no creative content other than featured musicians?

Post by MJKlein »

Good question @Disabled. Musicians playing cover tunes (songs that they have not written or licensed) is going to eventually catch up with them. It's only a matter of time before the performing arts societies discover all that potential revenue and they are not going to let it slide. The revenue seizures and penalties will kill the platform. Happs is not big enough to deal with that, like YouTube for example.

Happs seems quite smug and rather condescending about their "new" platform. Have you seen what their "About" page says? Take a look for yourself:

https://about.happs.co/

It says they are a platform for creators with "talent" so they "respectfully pass" on those who just "want to be famous for "being famous."" Then they invite you to click a link that says "I'm Talented."

Who Do They Think They Are? - And What Does That Even Mean?

Before I get into it, let's just take a moment and appreciate that the owners of Happs think they not only are a good judge of talent, they decide who uses their platform even for it's intended use. I can see them wanting to keep Onlyfans stuff off the platform, but are they really going to choose "talented" people in their opinion, and exclude others? Yes, apparently they are.

What is the criteria for streaming music on Happs? I have an actual discography and as a professional recording artist and producer I am personally more experienced than anyone I have yet seen on Happs, and I am unable to live stream. I created a Happs channel for showing famous songs, track by track (from the original tracks) and then showing how to mix them. Not only can I not live stream, the new video format makes that show impossible (see below).

The majority of people streaming music on Happs, are doing nothing more than bedroom performances. There is nothing wrong with that, but is that really being creative? Some others are streaming their regular gigs. They are nearly all playing other people's music. So, is the talent of those musicians based on how well they can copy the original record? I don't know. But I also think that even the worst player should he able to live stream on any platform they wish.

They call these people "creators." If they are playing someone else's songs, where is the creativity? A few are writing their own material (I'm not going to comment on modern so-called songwriting here) and those people would, IMO be creators. But that leaves another question unanswered: How does Happs expect people to "collab"?

Does Happs actually think that musicians can join other streams and jam together in real time? No one could be that dumb (I hope), but it's possible. None of these musicians appear to be collaborating with anyone else. How can you collaborate when you are streaming your coffee shop set? How can you collaborate when you decide to sit on your bed and play a random song you didn't write? Also, there are limits on how you can collaborate in real time. Sure, people could do a video together offline, but there are issues with trying to play that video on a live stream. That's right - we're gonna talk about portrait mode now.

Portrait mode only is the stupidest idea from Happs to date. They did "research" and looked at "data" to support this decision. The problem is, we live in a widescreen HD world. Portrait mode means all content from now on, will be narcissistic in nature. The "new" Happs is all about me. Look at me. I'm not going to show you interesting places, or even how-to videos. You're going to be looking at me and I'm not going to even use my rear camera. This is TikTok mentality and Happs is not Tiktok.

The worst part of this whole issue is the fact that what Happs people are saying is not what they are doing. Any person who casually browses the site can clearly see that Happs is intended to be a platform for musicians. Yet, they say that they are not "favoring" music content. I suggest that everyone check out Uke Berry's broadcast (posted in the Happs forum) and let her show you that herself. Her live stream is 4 hours long and she reads communications, names names, and shows videos. It's pretty revealing. I'm surprised that Happs hasn't taken it down. Fortunately she also streamed to YouTube.

Somewhat unrelated, I cannot believe how naïve those Happs people seemed to be on their first live stream on Happs Co after the release of the new app. It's as if they've never live streamed before - amazed at all the people from all over the world commenting as if this was totally new to them. One person actually said that was the first time he'd used the platform "outside of the development environment." Let that sink in. These people are not live streamers and they do not use their own platform. They are completely inexperienced and literally have no idea what they are doing.

Someone is going to be asking for their $4.7M back...

Thanks for the question @Disabled and welcome to the Livestreaming Technology Forums. We look forward to your input on the site!
MJ Klein, Site Administrator
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489